Hobart Meeting Rooms
13 Goulburn Street
Join us for informal discussion of Theosophical topics.
Free Entry - Visitors warmly welcomed.
Our meetings are predominantly discussion based.
Once a month we have a guest speaker giving a talk.
Meetings are at 7.30pm
Theosophical Society Hobart Branch Events – recommence in February 2018
Happy New Year Get Together
Sunday, February 4th at 2.30pm
TS Hobart Branch is starting 2018 off with an afternoon tea and informal "getting together" party.
"An informal get together for T(hrill) S(eekers) of a Theosophical bent!!!"
An interesting collection of Theosophy in New Zealand magazines dated from 1984 to 1985 have been donated and these may stimulate some interesting discussion!
Donations to the Theosophical Order of Service will be appreciated.
Tea and nibbles will be provided – and you can bring something to add to the table if you wish.
Monday February 5th at 7.30pm for 7.45 start
Guest speaker Glenelg Smith will give a talk on "Satan in Ancient Tradition". By examining a number of Ancient Traditions, it is possible to radically rethink the meaning of Satan. This re-framing can reveal profound and practical wisdom.
Proposed Discussion Groups And Presentations In February
Monday evenings at 7.30pm for 7.45 start
- "The Gnostic Worldview"
- "Evolution and The Secret Doctrine"
- "Morphogenic fields and the Akasha"
Presentation: "The Evolving Cosmos" a DVD by Pablo Sender
2018 Tasmania Event – for Members of the Theosophical Society
TS Weekend Retreat In Launceston 2018
Friday 6 April to Sunday 8 April 2018
Venue: Emmanuel Centre, Launceston
Theme: 'Search for the Inner Self'
Facilitator: Barry Bowden
A flyer with details will be sent out soon.
2018 National Events – for Members of the Theosophical Society
TS National Convention 2018
Saturday 20 to Saturday 27 January 2018
Venue: St. John's College, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane
Theme: 'The Quest for Truth, Science and the Spiritual Search'
Featured Speaker: Professor Emeritus Richard Silberstein, neuroscientist
Enquiries: Jennifer Hissey, Convention Secretary Email: email@example.com
Springbrook Event 2018
The next School of Theosophy, for TS members, will be held in April 2018.
The theme of the school is 'HPB's Esoteric Instructions'.
Presenter: Theosophical historian and researcher, Michael Gomes, from the USA.
Dates: arrivals Thursday 26 April – departures Wednesday 2 May, 2018
Location: Springbrook Centre, 2184 Springbrook Road, Springbrook, QLD
For more information on National Events or to download flyers or registration forms -go to: http://austheos.org.au/whats/springbrook-events-2018/
Canyonleigh 2018 March Event - for TS Members and non-members
'Towards Stress Free Living: Cultivating Stillness'
Dates: March 23rd arrival to 25th departure
Venue: Canyonleigh Centre, 1070 Tugalong Road, Canyonleigh, NSW
Presenters: Linda Oliveira, Pedro Oliveira, Marie Bertelle and Brian Parry
2018 International Event – for Members of the Theosophical Society
2018 International World Congress - 4th to 9th August 2018
"Consciousness, Contemplation, Commitment: The Future Is Now"
Followed by the International Conference of the Theosophical Order of Service (TOS)
Venue: Singapore – 2 hotels: Ramada Hotel and Days Hotel
Last registration date is 4 April 2018, by which date the payments must be made.
Any questions may be directed to Singapore: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details are available from the TS Adyar website: http://www.ts-adyar.org/
Theosophical Society Hobart Branch Forward Notice re April Event 2018
Tuesday April 3rd at 7.30pm
Guest speaker Barry Bowden will give a talk… Title to be advised.
There Will Be No Meeting on April 2nd - Easter Monday
Hobart Branch aims to have a guest speaker each month.
Discussion groups will be held on other weeks.
Further details will be provided as soon as possible.
Some recent discussions:
- Krishnamurti quotes
- Zen koans
- An extract from 'Theosophy and the New Psychology' by Annie Besant
- T.S. Science newsletter #78:
- 'All life shows varying degrees of intelligence';
- 'The ancient epic journey of indigenous Australians;
- DVD: Pablo Sender, Living Theosophy series: The Evolving Cosmos. Part 4. 'Our Mission in Life'.
- Extracts from 'An Introduction to Yoga' by Annie Besant:
- The Meaning of the Universe and the Unfolding of Consciousness
- The Oneness of the Self
- What is Yoga?
- States of Mind; Samadhi
Some recent visiting speakers:
- Pedro Oliveira: 'The Septenary Constitution of the Human Being'
- Linda Oliveira: 'Kali Yuga: the Rise and Fall of Narcissism'
- Simon O'Rourke: 'Homer's Odyssey; the Ageless Journey Within to Union with the Higher Self'
- A talk presented by Micaela Moore (Eurythmist) and Brian Keats (publisher of Biodynamic calendars 30yrs and interested in Astronomy for 40yrs) about Eurythmia and Astronomia, based on the work of Rudolf Steiner.
- Glen Smith: 'The Fifth Initiation'
Freedom of Thought
The Theosophical Society has spread far and wide over the world, and people from all religions or beliefs have become members of it without surrendering their special dogmas, teachings and beliefs.
Members are free to accept or reject any doctrine or opinion.
Approval of its three Objects is the sole condition of membership.
The Three Objects of The Theosophical Society
- To form a nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of Humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste or colour.
- To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and science.
- To investigate the unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in the human being.